Making smart food choices has never been more important for living life to the fullest.
With 50 years of experience in serving seniors, Revera recognizes the taste and nutritional needs of older adults. Menus are planned and tested by a team of registered dieticians, working with our chefs, with a focus on quality, great taste and nutrition.
Here are a few quick tips from Revera’s corporate dietitian to keep you on the right track to healthy eating:
Choose more vegetables and fruits
- Eat a variety of vegetables and fruits every day
- Try dark green and orange vegetables and orange fruits
- Choose more salads with such dark greens as spinach or romaine lettuce
Go with a grain
- Enjoy such whole grains as whole wheat, oat bran, barley or bulgur
- Make sandwiches on whole grain bread or rolls
- Choose barley or brown rice as your side dish
- Select foods that are stir-fried, baked, broiled or barbecued
- Go for a meatless meal, incorporating such foods as beans or tofu
- Remember, water is a nutrient, so drink plenty of water every day
Go easy on added fats
- Try adding a splash of herbed or flavoured vinegar to salads
- Spread mustard, chutney or salsa on sandwiches
- Use more herbs and spices to season your foods
Take your time
- Eat your meals slowly. It takes 20 minutes for your stomach to signal the brain that it is full. Put your fork down between bites and chew your food well.